Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Rough Week

I think I'm ready for last week to fade into oblivion. I'm also ready for the sweet little life lesson that I know is just ready to hit me, but for some reason hasn't.... Hopefully in writing this blog - I may find it.

My Grandma Krienke passed away on Wednesday. I got to say goodbye when I went to Washington, and I really thought that I had kind of already processed it and dealt with it. Wednesday, I was informed (by my emotions) that I had a long way to go. I am so happy for her, and for her family, and really with how sick she was - there is no down side to her passing on. I have a firm faith that I will see her again, and that she is not far. So why all the crying?

Thursday, my nephew was booted from his proctor home. He was overwhelmed, depressed, and resourceless. My brother called and needed my help. I did the best with the knowledge that I have and the resources that I am aware of - but it really didn't help me sleep after I had to book him into the homeless shelter. My mind is filled with mixed emotions. I've booked many a client into the homeless shelter - and typically it happened during the daylight hours - so maybe I didn't see the "Night version". Maybe that's all it was... but I couldn't help but feel a bit helpless for my nephew. That feeling was contrasted by my knowledge that it has been my nephew's actions that have brought him to this place of few options. And yet, my heart aches for the continuous trials that he has had to face. Swing back to the accountability that he must now take for the rest of his life.

Friday - I "bonked" while out on my bike ride. Bonk = complete loss of all energy, resulting in extremely poor performance. Also wrecks havoc with your self esteem and confidence.

Saturday - I couldn't finish my Brick workout (a triathlon for the purposes of training). Just had nothing left (time or energy). My calve has been in a knot since my workout - and it hasn't relaxed. Pretty painful...

Sunday - My 3rd Anniversary! Well what's bad about this? Jaren and I agreed not to do anything for it, until we got to France (we are going in May). Typically it would be the girl who then ends up recanting on the idea and be all sad when nothing was actually done. Well no, I wasn't a typical girl that day, and was utterly too unemotional. Jaren however, was not as truly prepared for me to act like it was just another day. Result = bad wife! (Not that Jaren would ever say so).

All in all it hit me yesterday (as I began to unexpectedly cry to my triathlete coach - for NO GOOD REASON) - that I might be a little overwhelmed.

My week was highlighted by beautiful things, and truly humbling acts of love. They are the tender little gifts of God's mercy, that remind me that He is here, and watching over me. For example - my niece, Anna (and her mother - my sister Meghan) came home on Saturday from Japan. Anna's bright little smile (which was especially prevalent for me!) calmed my heart. Watching my sister Siobhan, meet Anna for the first time - a beautiful and touching event that will be with me for a long time. Having my Mom call me and tell me that she is proud of me, "as proud as if [I] had been a doctor" - well I just don't think words can explain that feeling of praise from your parents.

And then there's Jaren. There's ALWAYS Jaren (and his beady eyes). He's the loving husband that just holds me together and shows never-ending patience.

I think there are times we are supposed to experience trials, and I am grateful that my loving Father in Heaven knows when I need them. Like I said, I'm also grateful for the pieces of wisdom He bestows upon the way.

I'm grateful for the constant blessing of the "New Day" or "New Week". The sun that rises, and lets me know that today is a separate and distinctly different opportunity from that of yesterday. I guess, in a way, I am even grateful for my rough week.

7 comments:

Leenz said...

Sorry about your grandma. I'm glad that you got the chance to say goodbye.

Gwen said...

Hey Bren - I am so sorry about the crazy week. I totally understand about being happy and sad at the same time, because someone has moved on without us. I think the sadness is just because they will be missed. When other people that don't have the gospel are sad it is because they think they will never see their family again. Thank goodness that we know better.

Your neice is BEAUTIFUL! I love the pics from Japan. I'm glad that Siobhan was able to meet her. Tell all of your family hello for me.

Congrats on your 3 year anniversary. It goes fast doesn't it? Greg and I will have our 6th wedding anniversary and 11th anniversary of when we started dating!!! What an amazing anniversary gift to be able to go to France. Very cool.

By the way... why are you going to France(not that you need a reason other than to vacation)? I've read your other blogs but maybe I missed it...

Anyway, you will be in my thoughts and prayers. I will be going to the temple this week and will put your name on the prayer roll. Love you!!

Gwen

Andrea said...

Sweetie. I'm so sorry you've been rotten lately. I've been thinking of you and wanting to call but for some reason I thought it was for me. Duh. Should have called. Hope things are looking up.

Lindsay said...

Brenna-It's been forever! Found your blog through Andrea's! Sorry things have been tough lately! Hang in there! So glad I can keep tabs on you now!!!!!

Erin said...

Hey Brenna,

So sorry to hear about your grandma. My grandma died over a year ago and I do still wish at times she were here, but I know she's with her family that loved and missed terribly, so it's hard to feel complete sadness. The pain does lesson, and the fact that you know you'll see her again will help immeasurably. You have a great husband and friend in Jaren, you are extremely lucky. I hope you are doing well otherwise, and normally I'd go biking tomorrow, but I have to start working Saturdays through May. We'll figure something out.
My thoughts are with you.

Anonymous said...

Hope you received your little life lesson you were expecting. I'm always ready for those to come too. Usually DESPERATE for those to come actually. Just remember, Chocolate Rain...that'll cheer you up. Nice to hear I made an impression. Or rather some crazy guy who sings really funny and has to bend over away from the mic to breath...made an impression. Either way, I'm glad you laughed. Lub U guts!

David and Taryn said...

I'm sorry things have been rough, but I wanted you to know that your blog was still inspiring to hear your testimony of faith and love from your husband and family. Like you said, we all have life lessons, even though we don't know why, but it will make you stronger in the end. Hope things are better. Love you.