Monday, April 14, 2008

The Eagle has Landed

Jaren had Lasik surgery this morning, and all seems to have gone very well. He reports that he felt only slight pain in his left eye (the second eye). The Dr. said that it is normal for the second eye to experience pain, when the first did not. My guess is that the body is just so dang smart, that in between the procedure time of the two eyes - the body figures out that the eyeball should probably not be experiencing this and then creates pain.

I got to watch the procedure on a monitor right outside of his room. Fascinating, and yet terrible! My stomach was flip flopping all over the place just knowing that it was Jaren's eye that I was watching the Dr. remove the lens from! I don't know how I'll ever be a mother and learn to cope with watching them possibly be in pain... On the other hand, it was amazing that Jaren could start to see right after the Dr. put the flap of lens back on his eye.

Jaren is now an eye drop receptacle (has to have drops about every 15 minutes), and high on Valume. It's funny that they give you a Valume 10 minutes before the operation. The operation only lasts about 10 minutes, and then they send you home. Jaren was home when he finally started feeling relaxed! He's got a blanket over his head (sensitive to light), and some sweet protective sheilds taped to his forehead. But he's not in pain!!! Love that.

All in all, I'm very grateful today. Grateful that he can already see better, grateful that he was protected during the operation, and grateful for the wonderful man I married. I am a very blessed woman.

5 comments:

Eric said...

Glad to hear everything went well! I hope you get some good embarassing pictures of him!
We love you guys!
-Eric and Clarissa-

Russ and Emily Christman said...

Sounds like everything went as planned. We are glad to hear he is well. Take care and enjoy playing nurse...

Leenz said...

Yikes! Glad that it went well and glad that it's behind you.

Anonymous said...

sounds like a cool (and entertaining) thing to watch. sorry i missed it. maybe i'll get it done and you can videotape it for me. :P Glad it went well.

Gwen said...

I am so glad everything went so well....
Love you... and have I mentioned lately I MISS YOU!!!!! I hope you can come to Riddick's blessing. It would be awesome to see you there. I think we will also have to have a girls night out too. Love you! Tell Jarin "hi" for me!
Love,
Gwennie