Saturday, April 26, 2008

Orem Telos Timp Tri

First race of the season completed! The race was awesome, and very well run. I got to do this race with two of my training buddies from cycle camp and masters swim. Jenny Weenig (right) and Laura Belgique (left). Aren't they sexy?


The Telos tri was a backwards triathlon. So instead of Swim-Bike-Run it was Run-Bike-Swim. Starting out with the run was a fun way to go. It was a new sensation (for me in a triathlon) to actually feel alright during the run! This is a picture of me on the turn, when I realize that I am not really running 7 minute miles - and that I still have to run around the park. I knew 21 minutes was too good to be true! Transition 1 (or T1 as it is called in triathlon world) was good. I am always suprised at how little I want anything that I have laid out. I just wanted to get in and get out! Go Go Go!
This is me clipping in and beginning the bike portion (10 miles). If I thought it was weird to start the race with the run, it was an even wierder sensation to get the jello legs on the bike! The bike leg was a two loop course... with a CRAZY hill. I'm not kidding. I had to stand up (while in my lowest gear) just to get up the dang thing. I've never wanted a different crank so badly.
When I hopped into the pool it was so hot! It was like I was swimming in a hot tub. My arms felt heavy - like they were made of lead. I didn't really think I used them that much running and biking, but I guess I do! My right goggle was full of water the entire time - but I couldn't stop... just keep swimming... swimming... swimming (say in in Dori's voice, and it's much better).
Overall - I loved seeing that my training was helping me to be stronger. I guess all those hours are worth it! Best part was that I took 3rd in my division! Woohooo!!! I finished the race in 1:07:22.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

thats awesome! good job! i don't think i could swim with one goggle filled with water...i'd either panic or start laughing when i thought of Dori. :) YOU ARE TUFF!

Leenz said...

Congrats!

Anonymous said...

Way to go Brenna! You are so good at working hard at something you want. I admire that in you. So that picture of the lady holding up the bike...is that so you, because that is what your well trained body looks like or is that so you, because? I'm just kidding you.

Leah said...

You, my friend, are truly amazing. Next year are you going to do it with a kid? I've got some extra boy clothes around here somewhere.... :D If you do, I'll join you--except, we might have to let the guys have the kids for the swim part, come to think of it.

Leah

Gwen said...

Bren - you are my hero!!!! I am so jelous! Great work!! Someday I will do one of these with you!!

Love you!
Gwen

Gwen said...

Sorry one more thing... you look so HOT and TOUGH!! NICE!!!!!!!
Gwennie

embeins said...

You are like a smooth and creamy Adam's peanut butter on spelt bread... totally rad! Can I just say that I am Bette Midler and you are Johnny Carson (something about inspiration, or wind, or sumtin' like that).

Great race, great results, great job. That's what I call great.