Friday, October 3, 2008

Brenna version 3.0

I LOVE my job! Each and every day I get to work with some of the most amazing people I've ever known. People that come in to work each day and give their all. People that do work that most people can't even talk about - think about - or even acknowledge exits. People that will NEVER be paid what they are worth and never be truly valued by society. When I became a supervisor at DCFS, I wondered if I would be able to come close to being like some of the amazing supervisors that I've had. I wondered if I could help them cope in a job that demands so much. I wondered if I could inspire excellence, or even just make them feel cared for. I still hope and pray for all of these things...

What I do know - is that they have helped ME cope. They have inspired excellence in my life, and they definitely make me feel cared for. My office knew that I would be at a conference all day on my birthday - and so the day before my birthday - they gave me this!

Left to right: Debbie, Rachel, Ruben, (me), Ben, and Beth = My amazing team! It's hard to see, but they covered my office in black balloons, gave me a sash and tiara to wear - declaring to all the world that I was 30! (note the over the hill banner in the background. 30 is the new 40? They even brought in two cakes!
They made me feel like I truly was "Brenna: Queen of the 30's!" (that's what my sash says)
On a side note: Debbie was even able to take out some of her rage on my husband. She's not exactly "pleased" with the fact that Jaren will be taking me away to Alabama some time soon - and she'll be losing me as her supervisor. Please note that she's about to kill him with a plastic butter knife! Love it!

On top of all of this - they even got me a $50.00 gift certificate to REI (they know me well) and took me out to lunch at the Cheesecake Factory.

I have to admit that I was so touched (and humbled) that they would do all of this for me. It gave me hope that I just might be helping them after all. And yes... of course I cried.

It's good to be Brenna, and 30!

6 comments:

Nanon said...

You so desereved that Brenna! As a worker, I know you are more dedicated than many I have come across. As a friend, your the best kind there is! Happy Birthday!

Amanda said...

Happy Birthday!!!!

Leenz said...

Happy birthday brennalator! Your 30, flirty and thriving!

Russ and Emily Christman said...

Happy Birthday! I am glad you work with amazing people and notice that. It seems these days that last part gets forgotten alot. Love ya and take care.

Gwen said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! I know this is belated but I thought about you last week. This was really cool that this did this for you. How cute are you in that tiara!!! You are our humble leader...proudly leading us all into our 30's!!!! You are so beautiful and look like you are 20! I hope I can be like you when I grow up ;-D. I love you! It was so great seeing you a couple of weeks ago. I miss you already!!!
Love,
Gwen

Andrea said...

Congrats! You made it!!