Monday, June 2, 2008

France - Part 1 : Climbing

As most of you know Jaren and I went to France. I'm sorry for the delay in writing about it, but I've been pretty busy. I'm going to break down my posts, because I tend to be the "super long blogger." So here we go with France - Part 1: Climbing...

We began our trip of France climbing in Fontainebleau. Specifically the area of Trois de Pignon. We checked out Bas Curvier on our first night, and were a little freaked out by all the sketchy people in the parking lot (and all the warning signs to not leave anything in your car because of thieves). So we headed to a little "less famous" place - and struck gold. Imagine white sand, black sandstone boulders delicately covered in moss (but on the holds your climbing), huge green trees, and a sense of history looming in the air. The ground is marked by huge craters - reminding you of a time that this area was not so peaceful and the land was being bombed.
As you walk to the bouldering areas, your passed by every type of person imaginable - and they are all there to climb. Everyone in this town climbs. Young to old - and I'm talking old. In the U.S. these people would be checking into nursing homes. The top outs are fairly tricky here, with a lot of slopers - which means "ugly face finish" pictures are to be had by all.
The French people were so nice, and friendly. In fact the only person Jaren and I didn't like was the only American we met while climbing. Some guy from Boulder. Arrogant.
Here's me getting a spot by 5 people! I'm not even famous - and I got this kind of treatment all over.
This next pic is one of my favorites. Jaren was actually pulling off this "hold." So tough. My hero.
France uses all kinds of crazy things to describe their boulders, one of Jaren's and my favorites was "magical." Little cheesy - but honestly, it was such a good tool for Jaren and I to pick out our favorite climbs. We just kept checking the guide book for the Magical problems - and we found a ton of them.
My favorite part of bouldering in France was the realization that I was doing something that I've always wanted to do. My love for climbing extends beyond the rocks and the moves. It's something deeper, that heals my soul. It creates an awareness for me of the big picture, and for those small moments when I can do nothing but pull really really really hard, I'm free. There's no work, there's no Army, there's definitely no upcoming triathlons... there's just the moment. Simple, pure, and beautiful.
In an effort to minimize the length on my climbing post, I have posted all of the climbing pics on the sidebar of this blog - so check them out.

2 comments:

D. James said...

Who's that guy with the hair that looks like Jaren?

Gwen said...

Sooooo cool! I love the pics!
Gwen