Monday, June 2, 2008

France - Part 3: Paris

Ahhh Paris!!! Romantic, beautiful, and old. Really old. Your constantly reminded in France how young our little US of A is. Most of the buildings here are older than our cute lil' country. Jaren and I drove from Normandy in our rental car, with my parents following suite. Hilarious if you ask me, to be leading your parents around... but apparently I'm better at this! Actually Jaren and I did make a great team. I was the navigator - he was the driver. We tried to switch it for a day in Milly La Foret, and I stalled the car a million times. I just got out of the seat, and never complained about him slamming on the break again. Anyhow, our drive into Paris was nuts. We drove through a bus lane, mused at all of the crazy motorcycles cutting us off - and just tried to go with the flow. We stayed in our hotel called Hotel de Bourdonnais. This is the view from our room.

Our first day we went to the Eiffel tower, and spent 3 hours in lines up and down it. It was fun to see my mother face seeing it for the first time. She just started crying, and kissing my dad. I think that it will be one of my favorite memories forever.



Day 2 was our trip to the Louvre. It was amazing. I'd been there before, but I honestly couldn't get over how much your mind forgets. I was just trying to soak it all in, and again - watch my mother's face. It meant so much to me to see her see the Louvre. I was surprised by my father (and husband's) reactions to the museum. They loved it. Dad surprised Mom with how much of the art he recognized and knew.


After the Louvre was our trip to Notre Dame. Jaren and I walked down by the river to get a good view of the Seine.
Notre Dame was beautiful, and Mass was in session. That's definitely the way to see a cathedral - when the choir is singing, and the incense is burning. Candles being lit as prayers to God. The stain glass detailing scenes from a time when Joan of Arc was being named named a saint instead of a heretic.
Day 3 was a trip to the catacombs. The underground grave for millions. I loved it the last time I saw it, and really couldn't wait to take Jaren there. His Gothic days seemed to beckon my senses that this would be something he would appreciate. I love this picture of me. I look like a ghost wandering through the graves.
Jaren and Dad are obviously Zombies.... "Brains!!!!"
After the catacombs we took a boat ride on the Bateaux Mouche. The scenic advantage from the river is unbelievable. I even snapped this very GQ shot of Jaren. :) He's going to kill me for posting it... but I think I married quite the hunk!
Day 4 was our trip to Versailles. It was so beautiful. Lots of gold. It makes all of the other castles, cathedrals, and chateaus look a little dull. It also makes you realize why the French revolution happened. The royalty living in this, while their people starved.
On one of our nights Jaren, Dad, and I went around town to see it all at night. We went to Sacre Coeur (Sacred Heart Cathedral) to watch the city (it's on a hill) turn from dusk to night. Beautiful. This cathedral was also having mass when we entered! What luck. This is the Louvre at night... and they thought the pyramid was a scar on Paris!
This is one of my favorite pictures Jaren took. Time lapse of L'arc De Triomphe!


All in all, Paris was a dream. I can't thank my parents enough for giving Jaren and I the plane tickets. My four years of French paid off for sure! I am such a blessed girl to have had so many opportunities to travel. Being able to do it with my family was amazing. I know that someday when my parents are gone - that these pictures will be worth more to me than any purse, jewelry, or gift I've ever been given. These memories of watching my Mother live her dream, my Father getting over his anger of the French (haha), and my husband saying "Je ne mange kuh les insectes" (I only eat insects) will forever be treasured.


2 comments:

Leenz said...

Amazing photos! That place looks so cool. Some day...

Gwen said...

Sorry... I am still catching up with the blogs. WOW!!!! I didn't know that you were going to France. What an amazing experience. I am so happy for you Brenna. There are so many wonderful and good things in your life. You are Jaren are so perfect for each other. That is really neat that you were able to go with your family too. Tell them all hello and give them hugs from me.

Love you!
Gwen