Friday, February 22, 2008

Alabama

Here's the official update on my life. I'm writing this post in hopes that I might clarify some of it for myself.

Silverstate closed... Jaren wants to be a helicopter pilot. That part you probably already know... here's the rest of it:
Jaren is turning in his packet for ACTIVE duty military with the Army. He is looking at flying helicopters. He has to pass his physical, which will be administered (hopefully) sometime next week in Colorado. The main concern with the physical at this point is his eye exam. Jaren's eyesight, is well... poor. He is currently 20/400. Meaning, the average person can see the things Jaren sees at 20 feet, at 400 feet. Yeah, he got it from his mother (remember he's adopted)... who we think might be a bat. It explains a lot... his love of black, his weird goth phase, oingo boingo...

Anyhow, Lasic may be an option, but we are not sure if he needs it yet. The rumor on the Army streets is that 20/400 is fine if you can correct it to 20/20 (which he can). The problem is, that with the Army - well you never know if your getting the right answer, until it's too late. We've been told that he can get lasic to correct it (if he doesn't pass) - but that he may have to do it in the military, and wait six months. That would mean he goes into some mechanic program (for helicopters), and then waits until the six months have passed, and then attempt to get in. So, basically we are waiting to find out if he passes the physical- and then go from there.

Once he is accepted, he supposedly will have to do a 1 month training. We aren't sure if that month is without me or not. We think that it is. In that case, I get everything ready back at home, while he does his month training, and then we'd move to Alabama. Once there, we'd live there for approximately 2 years. From there, we have 4 more years around the world somewhere.

Here's another catch - even if he does get accepted they can issue orders anywhere from 2 weeks to 6 months out. So we don't know if we will be here until he gets his orders. And once he has them, we don't know if we can come back until we get out there. We have a few things on the line that have already been planned this summer (and paid for). Mainly, France in May, Wasatch Back in June, Spudman in July, and Utah Half Ironman in August.

I am doing my best at remembering that I received an answer to my prayers. That I know that things will work out alright. My emotions and feelings have been all over the place since I got that answer, and I am just trying to keep perspective. What I do know is that I love my husband, and that I will follow him anywhere. Everything else - just details to my life that I will have to be flexible about.

3 comments:

Russ and Emily Christman said...

We will miss you guys! I guess it gives us an excuse to plan lots of road trips and go on vacation. I can imagine this is a really hard time right now. It may end up being one of the best experiences for you guys as family. Keep us updated and let us know what we can do to help in any way. Love ya!

Leenz said...

You've always wanted to go on trek...here is your own personal one.

Shelly Karren said...

Let me know where you and Jaren end up! Wishing you all the best with the changes (hopefully) ahead!