Sunday, January 27, 2008

Seriously?

Seriously! I exit my plane in Los Angeles.

12 minutes.

That's how long I've got to get to my next plane before I get stuck in the land of the gangsters and movie stars (is there a difference?). Breathe. You've been training for freaking triathlons. You can do this! Go!!!

I begin my run with a quick moment to ask for directions. "Oh, you go down the stairs and to your left", she says. "She" should know... "she" works here... right? Well... what "she" forgot to mention was "down the stairs and to your left" translated into Brenna speak = Down the stairs... outside... 3 (FREAKING) buildings to your left...

*** side note***
These are airport buildings... HUGE....
*** side note ended***

... go inside... speak to another "she" and have her tell you to sit in a freaking line the size of a mass migration to Mecca... only to have a somewhat good looking security guy come and ask you... "why are you in this line?" ... he then points you to the security checkpoint.... where you have to go through security again???? Seriously!!!???!!!...

Oh... then you find yourself asking every Asian person there in line if you can jump ahead of them, because your already supposed to be on the plane... well actually because your so fit... you have 2 minutes left... (your gonna need them)... take off your shoes, empty your bags... get a new boarding pass and run... run for your life.... run for about 1/3 of a mile.... while the semi-hot security guy rides his bike next to you (weird... i know)... then get there... gasping ... try to not look like your a terrorist... and hand another "she" your stuff... search for your passport... get on the plane... dripping sweat.... get inside... sit next to a Korean kid that won't talk to you for another 10 1/2 hours... and text a message to your husband and Lena... You were born for this kind of thing.
Good thing the "she" #1 didn't say all of that... it would have taken her twelve minutes!

***
11 1/2 hours of flying. No food. "We no have your order for begitarian" Wow everything has meat in it? They bring me a roll to my delight... I open, and even that is filled with meat. Nope.... looks like I'll be loosing part of my nice big butt.

Skip ahead to Tokyo Narita Airport. Waiting for my luggage... starving... waiting... "Anyone from Salt Lake City?" (go ahead, say it in a Japanese accent... it's more dramatic that way) I turn around, look the Japanese "she" in the eye. "We lost your luggage in California" Of course you lost my freaking luggage.... I only had twelve minutes. What do I expect? "Where should we ship it?" Really Brenna, you should have an address of where your going... that's kind of important. OR even a phone number. Guess you'll have to wake mom up. "Mom, what's meg's phone number?"

Call Meghan, stop crying... your gonna live ya know.

Skip ahead to Meghan picking me up from the airport. You'll just have to wear your clothes for the next two days. Oh Joy!


Then I meet Anna. Who cares what just happened, or how I smell... or what I look like. Look at her! She's the most beautiful girl I've ever seen! She has the most perfect little arms, and face. Her lips are precious, plump, and doll-like. Her feet....
Oh come on!!! Look at those! Adorable. She has the long Flynn toes. Love it! I feel the ache in my chest as I now understand the problem with "coveting" as I never have before. My baby-hungry heart can barely contain itself. I long with every fiber to just take her home with me. Meghan won't mind... will she?



She could totally pass for my daughter... right? Except that she gets Meghan's angry little eyebrows.

(Meghan might kill me for that picture- but it's hilarious and I couldn't help myself!)


Ok, enough with the coveting - a time and place for everything right?

Let's see - I got to sleep on a futon. Yes, it's as fun as it sounds. I think the frame was made of rebar or something, and the mattress of cotton balls. I rolled onto the floor half of the time to be more comfortable. Makes you appreciate your nice comfy memory foam all the more.


Spending time with my sister... priceless. I haven't really been able to "live" with her since she got married the first time at age 18. We fought like cats and dogs back then. Over stupid stuff - like clothes, and who stole who's friend. Stupid. This time, we only had two fights - still over stupid stuff. But two times is a great improvement. And we laughed a lot more than we fought. Like when she was trying to teach me "arigato gozaimashita." It means thank you very much. Wow... way to make it hard! How many flipping syllables? Well it took me a long time to get the tone right - and Meghan about puked she was laughing so hard. I do think she peed a little.



We ate a lot of Pinos. What's a pino you ask? Well they're delicious!
You get them at the 7-11 (which is called the 7 iHoldings). Weird. They are chocolaty goodness. Meghan said it was the perfect portion (not a "fat-ass American portion" that she kept telling me all of us "Americans" eat so much of). That may have been true too... except for the fact that you didn't eat just one... she ate like 4 of them. I laughed, and ate along with her. So good. I could make a fortune if I could bring them to the U.S.

I cooked pretty much every night. Which was great - because it reminded me that # 1 - I'm a good cook. #2 - I like cooking!

The day before I left Andy (Meg's husband) took me to Hiroshima. We went to the Peace Park. It's a memorial for the Hiroshima atomic bombing. I think that every human being should have to visit that... whether they want to or not. I especially think that any leader of a world country should have to go there on a regular basis - and any time they are going to sign some order to bomb another country - atomic or otherwise. It's ridiculous what we do to each other.

This is me in Hiroshima.





After my day at the Peace Park and in the great big confusing (epileptics nightmare) city of Hiroshima, we went to Jan Jaka, a Korean BBQ. It was fun. You grilled your food on this little pit in your table.

Meg and I took this Siamese twin picture there... we didn't plan on matching.


All in all, I had a great time. I learned a lot about myself, and even more about my sister. I have so much love for my family. Meghan is going to be a great mother to my little Anna. (I have ownership issues) In the end I was happy to return to my loving husband. I was more grateful to have him as my spouse, and to be able to think of someday bringing our own little one into the world. Then I can have all the photo shoots I want! Perfect! I'm glad that Meghan has her own match in Andy. He is perfect for her, and makes her happy. She deserves that. Now Anna????... no one deserves a baby that perfect! Oh dear....

4 comments:

Burtons said...

Brenna...you are in big trouble....I am hooked to the Blog World now!!!!

These pictures are soooo cute. I kept checking your blog to see when you were going to post Japan pictures.

Love you....we are happy to have you back.

PS..I will send you an invite to our blog.

Russ and Emily Christman said...

Sounds like you had lots of fun! We can't wait until you have something "perfect" also. Those "perfects" also teach you alot about yourself and who you are and want to be.

Leenz said...

What a cute little baby. I'm glad that you went and had a great experience.

Andrea said...

Sweetie! I understand your hunger. Mine's deeply, deeply buried under other sorts of hungers! Aren't they just miracles? Every time I see a new one, it boggles my mind. Love you, miss you.