Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Embracing Touch

Thus far, one of the most fascinating things about Korea is how different their boundaries are with regard to personal space and touch.  It is not considered disrespectful, creepy, or strange, for complete strangers to come up and touch your children's face and hair.

I had been told that this would likely be our experience, and have found it to be completely true.  Koreans seem to adore my children.  It really is a mother's paradise; because what mother doesn't appreciate someone who pays sincere and endearing interest to their children?  Especially when this attention is not slighted by fear or suspicion.

It is not uncommon for grown men to stop, and make goo-goo-ga-ga's noises with Maisy.  Teenage boys stop to tell me how "cute-uh" my girls are.  I have not yet met a man that was too macho, cool, or disinterested to engage with the girls.

My favorite is when the girls meet other Korean children.  Just today at the market (I told you, I LOVE the market), these two little girls could not get enough of Mila.

They wanted to touch her skin, her hair, her nose.  In the end, Mila became less shy, and even gave them hugs.  It was so sweet.






Like these girls, I love the simplicity and beauty of seeing new things.  I love the innocence and the curiosity.

In regards to the Korean's attitudes towards children. I love how they embrace differences and cherish children.  Ultimately, I just love all the love.


So, who wants a hot dog?

1 comment:

running normals said...

I know people think this only happens in foreign countries with "different personal boundaries" but this HAPPENS here(Utah)...to me...all the time. And not just from children, mostly old people. And they always want to touch my hair or comment on how "good" my English is!!! LOL