Thursday, August 18, 2011

We can do it!

Ah Rosie...... who knew we'd be such kindred spirits?  This, my friends, is my new mantra!


Jaren is officially in Afghanistan.  And the long dreaded wait for his departure has come and gone.  Thank heavens too - because that goodbye ranks up there with one of the hardest things I've ever had to do.  I am so grateful that I don't have to keep saying goodbye.  No we are just doing it!  No more waiting, and honestly, I feel like a weight has been lifted.


I am learning so much already.  First of all, I already knew this - but not like I do now...  I married the best man alive.  Honestly, I am just so thankful for him.  He is brave, courageous, and loving.  He is an excellent father, and watching him say goodbye to his little girls will stay with me for the rest of my life.  It was a sacred, and special time.

 

Secondly, I am learning that I am stronger than I thought.  I mean, there are those moments of absolute sadness, and where I just want to give into the "woe is me moment."  But overall, I'm already feeling that sneaking smile on my face.  The one where I know that I just might have a fighting chance of actually becoming one of those women that I have looked up to.  You know the ones - they face tragedy and hard things with bravery and courage.  They don't shrink at the fight... they get in there - get their hands dirty, and WORK!


I am seeing miracles in my life every day right now.  I know that I am being guided by the Lord's hand.  I have been given an extra allotment of patience.  I am not looking at the clock as much.  I am living with a peace, that thus far in my life - I have never known.  It is incredible... and I believe that it is truly God's hand in my life.  He has taken up the yoke and has eased this burden to the point where I can keep walking.


Alta and Mila are adjusting.  Alta asks for Daddy all the time.  Right before he left, he took the girls on a "Daddy duaghter date".  He took them to build-a-bear.  Alta picked out both of the bears, and they made them together.  He put a little recording in each of them, that tell them how much Daddy misses them, to take care of Mommy, and that he will be home soon.  They picked out little Army outfits.  Anyhow, needless to say, Alta hugs and kisses it all the time, and when she asks for Daddy - we have her go and get her bear.  She plays the recording, and then gives him a kiss.


Another thing that I have come to realize is how much I love my little family.  A good friend of mine taught me a saying that she uses with her children when their Daddy is at work, or gone.  She says, "Daddy is gone so that Mommy can be home and stay with you.  Isn't Daddy great?"  She turns it into a positive, and her kids think of their Dad as their hero.  It is awesome, and something I have adopted.  



Thus far, Jaren is doing well.  He too, is making the adjustment.  As hard as it will be for us to have Daddy gone, I need to remember that Daddy is away from all of his girls.  We pray for him to not be lonely.  We pray for his safety.  Alta said a prayer all by herself yesterday, and I'm pretty sure that it was what she was saying, because she repeated "Dadda" 5 or 6 times in that prayer.  


I am also grateful to be where I'm at right now.  It's hard to not be in Utah, with all the help and support that family and friends provide.  But I will say this:  My Army wives, and especially my fellow Church wives have been amazing.  It is just kind of understood here that you take care of each other.  So many people are in the same position (and many of them have done it multiple times before).  So you have this wealth of experience, knowledge, and camaraderie that wouldn't exist if I were in Utah.  I find that even my friends from Alabama are pitching in and making sure that we are okay.


The other nice thing about North Carolina is that these wives are amazing, so you don't get to stay in a pity party for long.  They do everything with a smile on their face.  They remind me of that woman I want to be, and help me to keep optimistic.


They say that the first two weeks of the deployment are some of the toughest.  I'm praying that this is true.  I'm hoping that I can continue with this momentum that is building in my life.


Jaren, I love you.  You are my hero.  You are the girl's hero too.  Years from now we will look back at this time, and thank God for the way that it has helped us to appreciate what we have.  We are so blessed, and I am already so grateful for this experience.  15 months will be long... but hey - it's already 14 1/2 now right?  We got this babe!  We can do it!


11 comments:

Katie said...

Yes you can do it! You are such a strong person, you always have been and will continue to become stronger each day. I heart this post.

We pray for you guys every night-seriously! One night...Doug interrupted me and said "Don't forget Jaren!" And he meant you girls too, of course. We haven't forgotten you in our prayers ever since.

I don't have experience or wise words to tell you, except that we love you guys and wish you the best!!

Kristen said...

Ah man, you just made me cry. I totally understand how you are feeling. Tel has been doing lots of training so he has been gone for two months now & so I am starting to get into my new groove of being a "single mom". Now we are being told they probably won't be going so out "waiting" continues & now he has to try to find a new job. I am actually disappointed he isn't going because I mentally and emotionally was ready to "get it done". So I am jealous Jaren is gone- I hate the waiting game. I have also been so proud of learning to do new things since Tel isn't here to do it. I built my own bookshelf & problem solved how to bolt it to the wall. Then today I mowed the lawn for my first time all by myself. Both of my neighbors came over to see if they could do it for me, but I said no because I wanted to prove to myself that I could. Good luck. You can do it! Jaren is lucky to have such a great, wonderful woman! If you ever want to talk, give me a call. I am open all hours!

heatherrimmer said...

The build-a-bear idea is the cutest, sweetest thing ever! I'm so glad Alta is adjusting well. Keep your faith in the Lord and He will continue to carry you through, all the way to the end! Before you know it, you'll have three months under your belt and you'll feel like an old pro. (I can't really vouch for what happens after that point, but I'll let you know when I find out! I'm pretty sure it only gets easier.) A moment will come when you tell someone that your husband is deployed and they'll say something like "oh, I'm so sorry," or "that must be so awful," and you'll catch yourself making a confused face, and thinking "huh? What an odd thing to say..." When that happens, be sure to step back and reflect on how far you've come, and be PROUD of yourself for becoming one of "Those Women!"

Leenz said...

Pass the tissues! What a wonderful post- wise words and beautiful pictures! An amazing guy like Jaren deserves an amazing girl like you.

kiaarmstrong said...

Ugh, I cried and cried! I'm so impressed with you Bren, you're amazing! Jaren is so lucky to have such a supportive wife and those sweet little girls couldn't find a better mommy if they tried! I love you so much! I'm here for you, always.

Krystle :) said...

OK the tears are flowing! I am so proud of you already! You are strong, courageous and your family is lucky to have YOU!!! You are in my prayers big time friend, and Jaren too. I absolutely love the build a bear idea! I will use that one day too. You are a great mommy and I am so happy that you are surrounded by a supportive community of friends. Keep that head up friend, you got this!! xoxoxo

me said...

Great post Bren. You have always been a brave, courageous, and strong woman! You've got this.

xo

Jenny said...

You're doing great Bren, and yes, it does get easier. There will always be hard days. I didn't have kids when Britt went (well, still don't) so I don't know if that makes it easier or harder, but at least they probably keep you busy, and at least you have someone to cuddle when you get lonely! I wish I'd had army wives to help me out too, just to know what to expect. You'll do great! You already are! And you can call me anytime you're not! Love you.

David and Taryn said...

Bren, First of all - your family pictures are beautiful! I love that you posted all of them throughout this post so we could keep seeing pictures of your family as you talked about being apart. And second - you have always been such an amazingly strong person since I have known you, and I love your attitude about Jaren going away. All of us back in Utah do wish you were here, but the support you have there with all the other army wives is what you need right now and such a blessing for you as well. I think about you often and admire your family for the sacrfices ALL of you are making. Love you!

David and Taryn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
D. James said...

Great post. Sorry it has taken me so long to get around to reading it. Best of luck! And feel free to visit us in DC.