Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Stubborn Little Girl

WARNING: Some of the information in this blog may be inappropriate for all readers. If you get squeamish by words like CERVIX... do not continue to read. Happily there are no pictures... because ... well... that would be gross.

***

Now then, for the sake of my posterity (and for the fact that my memory is shot - and I don't want to lose this information) I am documenting now what happened last week.

On Monday, October 26th, I had a Doctor's appointment. Jaren had to be at school, so I had to go alone. At this Dr's appointment they did their usual exams (checking my blood pressure, the baby's heart beat, and checking the cervix). The last exam was MUCH MORE PAINFUL than usual, and I was a little surprised by how much it hurt. After the exam, Dr. Gilchrist sat me up and said that he felt it would be necessary to induce me starting Thursday night due to the "fact" that my baby was getting so large. He stated that he felt that it would be my best chance for a vaginal delivery (if I did not go into natural labor before then). He stated that my baby was only going to continue to grow, and that my chances were far better this week than they would be next week.

Now anyone that knows me knows that I'm a masochist and for some reason really really really would like to have an all natural labor. I'm not saying I can do it - I'm just saying I would really like to try. Besides, how else am I going to be able to tell you which is worse, having a kidney stone or a baby? - and that myth really MUST be tested! (Are you picturing my own episode of Mythbusters? I am!)

Anyhow, at this point, I ask him if he feels it is medically necessary to do an induction. He says that if I don't want a c-section next week, that he feels that this is the best option.

I leave the appointment a bit devastated. I'm feeling like this is one more thing about pregnancy that I suck at, and that OF COURSE! it would happen this way. READ: I had a pity party!

After that, I called Jaren, and he said that he felt like the Dr. was maybe not our favorite, but he was competent and we should trust him.
Called mom... she said the Dr. was just trying to put me into his schedule...
Called lots and lots of people... all giving me their varying opinions on how I should handle the situation and my Dr.
Finally at the end of the night, with a LONG phone call to my sister Janis, I heard the information that I truly needed. She recommended (after a long list of medical things I should do first) that I get a blessing and then pray that Heavenly Father would help me know what to do, and help me to be strong through this process, and help Alta. VERY interesting advice from my sister who said right before it, "Now you know that I don't necessarily believe in God... but."

Strange where the blessing you need can come from eh? Oh, another side note. Janis helped me figure out that the Dr. had stripped my membranes earlier that day (with the evidence he had left behind), and that was why the exam was so painful.

Anyhow, I did get a blessing - and we did show up for the induction. That would be Thursday October 29th. They started me on Cervidil at about 8 pm, and then started me on Pitocin at about 4:30 am on the 30th. I was on Pitocin for about 2 1/2 hours. I had contractions, and thought this was it. They got the Dr. to come in and do a cervix exam and to break my water. I am literally thinking I'm going to have my baby soon...

Ha! Well my Dr. sits me up after what seems like an eternity of him rooting around up there... I swear that he could have gotten to it easier if he had started from my anus. Anyhow, he says that my cervix is VERY posterior. He says that if he were to continue me on the Pitocin that there was a strong chance for a c-section. So he kinda gives me the feeling that we are gonna be doing a c-section that day. To which I respond, "Uhhhhh... do we have another option?" He says, "Oh yeah, we can send you home and try this again next week." At this point I'm thinking, If we could have waited until next week in the first place I wouldn't have had to go through all of this you *&^#)&#(&#!" And yes... I actually bleep in my brain (LIE).

Anyhow, he says that he can not guarantee that I won't end up having a c-section next week/ And that he doesn't want me to be upset if I could have had my baby today rather than next week. I tell him that I would be happiest giving my baby the chance to come naturally. So they send me home. I'm supposed to do kick counts (never have to - because Alta is still training to be cage fighter and NEVER STOPS MOVING). And I'm supposed to come back to his office on Monday.

Over the weekend, I walk and walk and walk and walk... and kinda run (as my mom chases me with grocery carts, pinching hands, and threats).... and then I walk some more. I'm not going near Castor oil, sorry! Jaren and I get to feel like we are back on our honeymoon, and basically we are doing everything all the books say to bring this baby out naturally.

Well... Alta is one stubborn little girl. She got that from me, and she procrastinates like her father...

So I go to the Dr.'s appointment yesterday, and get checked again. The cervical exam is much less painful, and I don't feel like he is delivering a calf (like on City Slickers). He says that he is very happy with my cervix. I think: Oh good little cervix! He says it's mushy (I love this term), and that it is effacing. And then he tells me that I'm progressing nicely, and dilated to 1 1/2. WHAT??? That's where I was last week! He says that he doesn't really believe that I was there last week, and I think: that's where YOU told me I was! But then he reassures me that this was the cervix he was looking for last week after the Cervidil, and that this cervix could very well deliver vaginally. So he tells me that we are going to do this on Tuesday night (yup that's today). I ask if I can wait until the end of the week or if we can do a non-stress test. He says that he doesn't like pushing it after the due date (and he's on call on Wednesday). I tell him I'm fine if someone else delivers me... (I am so proud of myself for saying this)... and then he goes into a host of reasons why he doesn't want to wait anymore.

So at the end of it all... I feel good. And that's when I realize that I'm gonna be ok. The Spirit is strong, and I feel at peace. No, this isn't my favorite doctor. No I'm not a big fan of getting induced. No, I can't believe I'm still pregnant. But... amidst it all... I am at peace. If Alta comes into this world by induction or any other way... I'm gonna be fine. I am a survivor. That's what I do. I will make it through this.

So it's kinda fitting that I go into this final day and night of being pregnant at peace. It's how I feel right before a big race. I know I've done everything I can do to prepare. Now it's up to my body and the Lord.

Alta, if your listening... come on out now. :)

9 comments:

Kevin n Amy Cederquist said...

you are so cute. cant wait to meet the little brooks girl.

Jenny Kuhni said...

Og Brenna. You must write a book one day, because I love the way to explain things, I feel like I'm sitting there talking to you! I just love you! Can't wait for her to come out!!!! :)

Stephanie said...

I am so proud of you for being so patient. You are such a good mother for putting so much thought, prayer, and consideration into doing what is best for your little girl. Good luck and I wish you the best!

Jenny Kuhni said...

that was supposed to be an Oh. just so you know, no ogging I promise.

J-T said...

Hey Bren,

Doctors typically over represent medical risks in order to guide your thoughts to align with their recommendations. However, pregnancy is not a disease but a naturally occurring process.

Heather went natural with both of our boys using hypnobirthing (hypnobabies is similar). The first delivery was fantastic.

The second delivery did not go as we liked because we let the doctor "scare" us into forcing/inducing the delivery which turned out to be quite painful as her body was just not ready for it.

Doctors will over represent the risks of going past your "guess date" to adapt the delivery to their schedule. There is a vast amount of clinical studies that show traditional methods of "treating" pregnancy produce experiences (and c-sections) that mothers are unhappy with.

Go natural girl! Women have been doing it for thousands of years!

(you can read our experience at www.heatherbelle20.blogspot.com)

drenewt said...

Beautiful! I'm so excited for you and by the way... You look INCREDIBLE!

Gwen said...

AMEN!!!! WOW what a crapy expreience - it sounds like mine! It makes me giggle how similar our lives are at times... LOL! Good luck my dear! I hope she comes naturally too!!! Actually I was so desperate for 3 weeks Greg and I had more sex than ON our honeymoon! Imagine that! CRAZY how desperate you can get!!!! Love you!!!! You continue to be in my thoughts and prayers!!!!!

Megan and Kyle said...

Good luck Brenna!! We are all praying for you!! Hopefully Alta will come today!! Let me know if you need anything!!

Amanda said...

Since I just went through all this three weeks ago, I found this entertaining. I am so excited to see Alta and hear the rest of the story. I'm sure it will be a while cause I didn't do anything for; well three weeks. Take it easy make sure you get lots of rest and I hope you have lots of help. Good luck!