Saturday, November 21, 2009

First two weeks

In an effort to continue with my pledge of honest blogging... I will start with:

HOLY CRAP!

Why didn't anyone tell me recovering from having a baby was this hard? I don't like the feeling of... sitting, coughing, standing too long, or using the restroom (Could be renamed the stressroom for all I care!)
Good thing I got this amazingly cute girl to keep me going!
Alta is actually quite amazing, and I really do love her to bits. Some of my favorite moments have been during her baths. She loves the warm water... (I'm telling you this girl is gonna be a fish like her mommy). I love how content she seems here:
I also love breastfeeding. Well... during the daytime. Who really loves not getting sleep? But I think I like feeding her better this way than I would having to get up and make her a bottle in the middle of the night. I feel incredibly blessed to have this one thing go perfectly right (thus far). I have watched so many of my friends desperately try to breastfeed - and end up not being able to for one reason or another...
So I will say it again: I feel incredibly blessed! I have a good little eater. In fact, she's gaining weight like a suckling pro. She weighed in at 9 lbs 6 1/2 ounces at her two week appointment. That means she gained almost a pound in two weeks! She instantly latched at the hospital, and hasn't stopped since.
I also love watching her with her Daddy. It makes my heart melt to see my husband take care of our little girl. Alta knew his voice from the beginning, and loves her Daddy!

Anyhow, Jaren and I had a lot of help since her birth. We had my parents out first, and then they were followed by Jaren's this week. I don't know what I would have done without all the help. I totally had a breakdown today after Mom and Dad Brooks left and the realization hit that it's all on us now. Panic, Fear, Anxiety, Elation - all feelings I soared through with postpartum hormonal breeze! Then a phone call from Sparkle reminded me that everyone feels this way, and that I'm normal.

But it makes me go back to my original thought at the top of this post. I am totally enamored with all of my friends and family (and especially my own parents) that have gone before me in this vastly frightening world. I will say it again! HOLY CRAP this is hard!!! It's amazing, and wonderful, and totally worth it.... but also hard.

Which is good - because as we know - I like a good challenge!

10 comments:

Russ and Emily Christman said...

It is a little overwhelming at the start, but after a few months it is funny to think of your life being any other way. Jaren and you will and are amazing. It will allcome natural. Alta is adoreable. Hopefully we can meet her after the holidays. Take care and keep up the good work.

Amy C said...

I can't wait to come see you. Unfortunately, Chloe's fever tonight was at 103.2 so I wont be by for a while... BOO :(. Hopefully she is over it soon.
Alta is SO beautiful. I want to see her look at a picture of Jesus. :). Been looking forward to that since you told me about it.

Amy C said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Megan and Kyle said...

I'm glad to hear that everything is going so well!! Let me know if you need any help with anything. I'm just around the corner!

Katie said...

She is an absolute doll! I am happy to hear how things are going, and can't wait to see her!

Zach, Jen, Elizabeth & Summer said...

Ha ha. You're so cute! I totally cried when my mom left after a week of having her with us when Elizabeth was first born. I think Zach was even a little worried how we'd handle it. But, as I'm sure you're realizing, it's totally do-able! You guys are awesome parents already. :) We love seeing all the pics of beautiful Alta! :)

Troy and Rebekah said...

She is so beautiful! Congrats! I'm so happy that you didn't have to have a c-section. And I'd say that even with the epidural that you experienced a natural birth. Naturally your body gives you a break before the big push but with the pitocin you weren't getting a break so it worked out all right I'd say. You still felt the pushing. Most importantly Alta is healthy so way to go!

Don't worry you will overcome the feeling of being emotionally and physically train wrecked. Just take it easy and don't rush to get back to normal just enjoy the ride. Next time will be very different. :)

Gwen said...

Oh Bren! When my mom left me at the airport with my 2 week old little guy I too was full of desperation and tears! I was so overwhelmed with all of it. You are TOTALLY normal... in fact one especially bad post partum night... Riddick had woke up at 1 in the morning for a feeding and during the WHOLE feeding all I did was cry... my tears wetting my breasts and my poor boys head. Riddick promptly went back to sleep like a good little baby. However, I was TOTALLY exhausted and sleep deprived and yet... I COULDNT SLEEP!!! I literally cried from 1am to 6:30am when Greg woke up (Greg took a sick day so I could get some rest and help). It was one of the most difficult moments of my life. Those hormones make you so crazy!

The "HOLY CRAP" comment made me giggle because that is EXACTLY how I felt too. I remember going back to church for the first time and a I saw a good friend in my ward make her way towards me. She asked how I was and from my face she answered for me - WHOA - HUH? That summed it up for me! I had no idea it was going to be the ride it was. No matter what anyone else tells you, you just don't understand until you go through it.

Thanks so much for writing all of this and sharing it with us. Alta is so amazingly perfect and beautiful! I can already tell how much older she looks. You look so beautiful by the way in that pic! WOW!!! I like the one with Jaren too...

And congrats on the breastfeeding!!! I'm so glad that it's so smooth for you!

Alright... sorry about the novel here. I love you and miss you!!!!!
Give hugs to everyone!!!

Amanda said...

I love how you tell it like it is. I totally agree, this has been one of the hardest things I have ever done, from the moment my contractions started. I cried when I had to leave the hospital then when my mother-in-law left and to top it all off, Jeff got the flu then Pnemonia so I had no help for two weeks. I felt so bad for all the single mothers out there. Also congrats on the Breastfeeding, I am so scared my milk is going to dry up, I seem good in the morning, but by the evening, I have to do formula cause I have nothing, it is so depressing. Keep it up and good luck, I love reading your blogs, I can relate since I am only a few weeks ahead of you. Eddy turns 2 months on Sunday.

Gwen said...

Alright my dear.... I need a new post! I got your cute Christmas card (AND ADORABLE PICTURE!!!!) but I need more info... if you can spare the time. Sorry this isn't to make you feel guilty or anything. There is nothing as hard as those first few months!

How are you? How is Alta? Is she sleeping well? How is Jaren adjusting to being a daddy? How is breastfeeding? How are you feeling?

I miss you! I am struggling with getting Alta's present done but it is a work in progress I guess... trying to do all of this during the Christmas season didn't help anything!

Love you! Miss you!!!