Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Cycle Camp


I feel a bit like a sluggish squirrel that has been fed by too many humans. I am embarking upon familiar waters... and yet feeling entirely unprepared. As many of you know, I sustained a knee injury last year at the Spudman triathlon. The result was a catastrophic (in my eyes) ending to my season (and training). My response = food and physical therapy. Unfortunately physical therapy doesn't quite add up to the amount of training that I was previously accustomed to. Therefore, my body began to adapt to it's new sedentary lifestyle. The product = Exhibit A as seen above.
Luckily, I'm blessed with a determined mindset, and a competitive drive. So I'm literally back in the saddle. I am participating in coach JR Smith's Power Cycle Camp again this winter. I was impressed with how much my biking improved in one year, and I'm looking forward to seeing what it can do in two. I'm also blessed because Jaren is letting me do it again, and is very supportive of my dreams as an athlete.
I'm currently determining my race calendar for this next year. One thing is set. The Utah Half Ironman. And as it turns out, I am blessed in one more area. As I was injured last year, the race officials agreed to transfer my registration to the 2008 race! Let's just hope that I can train my body in such a way as to prevent injury this year!
I feel very lucky to have a body that likes physical activity. I honestly feel lost when I can't workout or train. I'm grateful to have friends and family that understand my desires and dreams, and that are so supportive. I am so thankful for all of the support that I received last year when I couldn't compete. I am a social worker, and yet, I was entirely unprepared for the "grief and loss cycle" that I went through in losing my ability to do whatever I wanted.
For anyone out there that is looking to do some fun races this year... let me know! I love doing these events with friends and I love sharing in the joy that completing a goal brings.
Even more than that... I love training with friends. No easier way to get through that 5 mile run than yapping it up with someone!
Happy Training!

3 comments:

Russ and Emily Christman said...

I wish I couldv'e done cycle camp with you. My life is crazy as it is. You can coach me through Spudman and we can do a few runs through your 26.2 mile training runs. Good luck you are awesome!

Anonymous said...

Exhibit A...? You're hilarious! I can totally see you saying this entire blog (super exaggerated reenactments and all)! Hands flying this way and that in an effort to make sure people understand EXACTLY how hard it was after you were injured. LOL its totally entertaining to imagine... ;) Anywho...luv your guts! Talk to you later!

Leenz said...

Utah Half Ironman, psh! Brenna laughs in the face of this race! As a sidekick, naturally I will be by your side? Of course, I WILL NOT be doing this one...