Sunday, June 27, 2010

Graduation

It's official. My husband is a Blackhawk pilot. In Army lingo, we say, he's a UH-60 Pilot, or he flies 60's. At any rate... he's done! Well... almost.

On Wednesday, we had family day. Jaren's mom (Janet) and sister (Marci) flew out from Utah to join us for this special occasion. Anyhow, we got to see what Jaren has been doing during his time here at Fort Rucker. We got to go play around in some Blackhawks, and actually see the difference between the Alpha (older) and Mike (newer) models. Jaren has been selected to fly the newer Mike Model - so that means that we will be sticking around in Alabama for another couple of months. We are excited for him to be able to fly the uber computerized cybertron known as the Mike model.... but Jaren is a little worried that he will become completely lazy as a pilot and totally forget how to fly (it basically does everything for you). And I think to myself, "Great, we've spent how long here for you to learn how to not fly?!!!"


Later that night we went to the simulators. He got to show off some more, while the rest of us came to the realization that there are basically endless ways to die in a helicopter. Good, that should be comforting as I prepare for future deployments! Really, I am just completely in awe of my husband. He can fly a metal box in the sky! Oh what? Your husband teaches the blind to read? Well that's boring, isn't it? .... I apologize if your husband actually does teach the blind to read... but not really... because my husband is even cooler than yours.

On Thursday, he graduated flight school. It was surreal. A lot like your own High School / College graduation, only much shorter... and way more formations, turns, and creeds going on. But basically that same sense of nostalgia was present.... letting you know that this was a big moment. Even if the whole world didn't know it.

After his graduation, I Grad-U-Mated. They had a luncheon which celebrated the spouses and supporters of the graduates. I was pinned with "wings" and given a Diploma for a degree in Master of Aviation Support. Jaren totally surprised me with my "wings". It was a cute necklace that he bought all on his own. Good job Jar!
And so we are officially done. Yet not...
Life lesson? I think so. Also sounds a lot like the Army.






7 comments:

Patrick Barrington said...

I actually learned how to read from a blind guy, how ironic...and I once called an infomercial that was selling some 'learn to use the computer in 20 min or less' program and I asked if it came in braille. That may actually be true.

This Idaho Girl said...

...And you are off before I could officially say goodbye. I also have something for you, which I shall drop off to Jaren and you can retrieve in August upon your return. By the way, my favorite part of Army ceremonies is the yelling of "I am an American Soldier".

This Idaho Girl said...

p.s. Patrick talked me into watching "Blackhawk Down", which he touts as a must see. I disagree here. Don't like to think about my husband held captive by some crazy Somalis. If you haven't watched it, don't.

me said...

Go GO GO! Yahoo! Thrilled for you both. Still wishing you were coming west soon :) (to live I mean).

Missing you!
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo to Alta!

Kaybi said...

Yeah!!! What an accomplishment!

Zach, Jen, Elizabeth & Summer said...

Congrats Jaren! That's very exciting and awesome! Alta is so stinkin' cute! I'm so glad we got to come hangout a little while you were in town Bren.

Jenny Kuhni said...

Oh exciting! He graduated, you grad-u-mated!!!! I loved that little diploma for the wives. :) hehe. I love you guys! Tell Jaren to just keep playin' video games, Steve tells me it's a must to keep his hand-eye coordination. :) Silly boy. :)