Monday, March 30, 2009

Iceland, Norway, and New York

My trip is done, and I'm left exhausted and full of great / interesting memories. Iceland and Norway were beautiful surprises. New York lived up to my expectations, huge, busy, and a lot of fun. All in all it was a great trip with two close friends.


It will forever be an interesting mix of memories. Jenny's husband (Britt) is deployed on operation Iraqi Freedom. He left Feb. 1st and I left a few days later, and thus this trip was born = we both needed something to look forward to. Summer had the plan to go to Norway to visit her brother and sister-in-law. Lucky for us - prices were ridiculously low.


Jenny and I tried our best to have fun without our husbands, but were reminded of how empty even amazingly fun things can be without them. This is not to say that we didn't have fun. We enjoyed every last minute of it - but homesickness (for husbands - and especially for Utah [for me] will forever be a memory of this trip). Summer is a good friend of mine from cycle camp, and a fellow triathlete. She is single, and therefore brought an interesting mix to my feelings of missing Jaren.


Here are some of the pics I took, I didn't want to make this post so long that people don't want to read it. So enjoy! (They are Picasa albums... so just click on them, and you will get to see a lot more)

Iceland



Norway



New York

5 comments:

Russ and Emily Christman said...

Hope you are doing well. I have been thinking about you. Your pictures are adoreable. It looks like you had a great time.

Burtons said...

Oh Brenn. Your pics made me miss New York!!! You look so great and it looks like you had a great time with good friends. I am sorry you were homesick. The only time I had homesickness really bad was when I was in New York/New Jersey as a nanny and IT WAS HORRIBLE! At least you had close friends and your husband in Alabama. I didn't know ANYONE. I miss you too. I am sorry...I haven't had time to call you. I really am not ignoring you. I just am trying to rent our house, sell our furniture, find insurance...and the list goes on. I will call you this week sometime...I PROMISE. You better answer.

Love ya,
Lins

P.S. Thanks for the update on the peanut/plum. Sounds like "it" is growing like a rocket. Send more pics when you get them. When do we find out what the peanut/plum/orange/grapefruit/pineapple/watermelon is????????

Benjamin and Jennie said...

Gosh what an exciting trip to go on!!! You are just full of adventures!!!! I want in on the next trip:)

Gwen said...

Oh I'm so happy you posted again! I have been waiting.....

WOW!!! What an AMAZING trip - and what AMAZING photo's you took of these places. They are really breathtaking. Thanks so much for sharing. You were really able to capture the different aspects of each place... wow does Iceland look icy, cold, but amazingly gorgoous - that hot pot you guys were swimming in... it sure makes me think of the ones back home.

I can't believe you had to go without Jaren. That would be really hard for me too. I am so proud of you though for getting out there and doing stuff since your husbands are obviously so busy. You are my hero and a great example for me.

I am a little scared about Michigan. I really had my heart set on going back home. I know this is the right place for me to go... to start over AGAIN is just so hard. But I want to be just like you! I will hopefully find friends quickly and do lots of fun and great things... hopefully Greg can be there but most likely he won't.

I am so jealous of this trip! I have always wanted to see Iceland and New York, honestly I never thought of Norway, but now I think it will go on the list.

I sure love your videos! It makes me miss you even more! Love you!
Gwen

embeins said...

Awesome trip, truly awesome.

I think the BEST picture is the one in Norway where there's the statue/landmark in the street showing the different centuries of people. Then, right behind it, is a Chinese storefront where all the writing is in Chinese.

Smorgasbord. Is that Norwegian?